dotConnect for Oracle - v5.0.40.0 - How to set PACKET SIZE

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
bri_001

dotConnect for Oracle - v5.0.40.0 - How to set PACKET SIZE

Post by bri_001 » Mon 15 Mar 2010 15:05

Hello,

I use dotConnect for Oracle Pro - v5.0.40.0 to connect to an Oracle 10g db with direct mode. I would like to set the packet size manually via connection string. If I cannot do this via connection string, is there another way?

Also, can someone post a list of all "Devart-recognized" named connection string parameters?

Thank you in advance

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 16 Mar 2010 10:40

You can find the full list of the valid names for values within ConnectionString here.

The packet size parameter of the connection string is not available in the OCI mode because data transfer is controlled by Oracle Client in this case, and we cannot guarantee that the packet size will be exactly as it was set. We will consider the possibility of adding this feature in the Direct mode. Could you please tell us why this functionality is so critical for you?

bri_001

Post by bri_001 » Tue 16 Mar 2010 15:19

Thank you for your reply.

My application supports users located in different states. There have been complaints about performance from users in locations farther away from the database server. It was recommended that we increase packet size to remove some of the latency.

The application uses direct mode to connect to the server because I cannot enforce what Oracle client(s) are installed on the user PC.

Would it be possible to make a new feature request for this?

I have one more question (and this is probably wishful thinking). When I use direct mode, does the Devart client ignore the TNS configuration in tnsnames.ora? I see that HOST and PORT is required, but I has hoping that I could supply packet size (i.e. TNS) in tnsnames.ora.

Thanks again

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 17 Mar 2010 14:47

We cannot tell when exactly the packet size feature is implemented.

If you are working in the Direct mode, the Oracle Client software is not used, and its settings from the tnsnames.ora file are not taken into account.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 12 Apr 2010 15:25

Please control the buffer size with the FetchSize property of OracleCommand.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 09 Jul 2010 14:19

The 5.70.146 build of dotConnect for Oracle includes static property Devart.Data.Oracle.DirectUtils.PacketSize. It allows to control the packet size only in the Direct mode. We cannot guarantee that the packet size will be exactly as it was set in the OCI mode, because data transfer is controlled by Oracle Client in this case.

The Direct mode is described in our documentation here:
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... tMode.html .