VS2008 Datadriven Test fails using Oracle DataSource

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
GeoInfo

VS2008 Datadriven Test fails using Oracle DataSource

Post by GeoInfo » Tue 23 Feb 2010 07:56

Hi

I try to use an Oracle (10g) Table as datasource of an datadriven UnitTest in VisualStudio 2008. The test seems to connect to the Oracle DB (fails on wrong credentials), but then fails with error "The unit test adapter failed to connect to the data source or to read the data, .... Error details; Index out of Range (Array)."

I use the following attributes:

_
_
Public Sub OoiDataManagerGetAllPoiDetails_ValidObject()

Client OS is Windows7 (64bit)

Using VS2008 ServerExplorer I can connect to the oracle DB read/write Data using Provider 'dotConnect for Oracle'

Is this a bug in dotConnect? Is there any solution or workaround.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Best Regards

Bernd Nierula

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 24 Feb 2010 10:18

Your UnitTest with dotConnect for Oracle should work. I have checked the latest 5.55.97 version of dotConnect for Oracle. You can find your current version via the Tools | Oracle | About menu of Visual Studio.

Maybe the reason of the error is incorrect connection string. If you are using the Direct mode, the Home parameter is not necessary because Oracle Client is not used. For more information about the Direct mode, refer to our documentation. Is a connection string in your UnitTest the same as the one you used in Server Explorer? Please try to localize the problem: create an instance of OracleConnection with your connection string in a separate small (e.g., ConsoleApplication) project, and open this connection. Is it successful? If the problem persists, post here your call stack.

GeoInfo

Post by GeoInfo » Wed 24 Feb 2010 15:25

Hi Shalex

Thank You very much for Your reply.

I use Pro Edition, Version 5.35.79.0, downloaded and installed about two weeks ago. Is there a more recent version available for download?

I use the same Connection String as VS Server Explorer in the Tests DataSource. I activateted Debug ¦ Exceptions ¦ CLR Exceptions and receive the following Exception Details:

System.IndexOutOfRangeException occurred
Message="Der Index war außerhalb des Arraybereichs."
Source="Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Common"
StackTrace:
bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Utility.TestDataConnectionSql.FindIdentifierEnd(String text, Int32 start)
InnerException:

Is this of any help?

Thank You very much for Your support

Best regards

Bernd

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 25 Feb 2010 09:12

1. The latest Beta build of dotConnect for Oracle is 5.55.97.
It can be downloaded from http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/dcoracle555.exe (trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with valid subscription only). Please try it.

2. Is there longer stack trace available? Try to set this to get full call stack: in the (Tools | Options) window, Debugging | General uncheck Enable Just My Code (Managed Only).

3. Why did you decide that this error is caused by our components? Please create an instance of OracleConnection with your connection string in a separate small (e.g., ConsoleApplication) project, and open this connection. Is it successful? If the problem persists, post here your call stack.