can't see DB-Data in Visual Studio 2008

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
ganders

can't see DB-Data in Visual Studio 2008

Post by ganders » Tue 16 Feb 2010 13:10

hi

i'm using VS2008 Server Explorer to create a connection to oracle 10g. by entering the schema owners credentials, everything works as expected. but using a different oracle-role (role holds read-permissions an all tables of the schema), i can't see nothing...

the role itself works. so, what am i missing??

best regards

george

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Tue 16 Feb 2010 16:48

Please specify the exact steps needed to reproduce the error.

ganders

Post by ganders » Wed 17 Feb 2010 07:14

1. create tablespace and roles (owner- and reader-role) in oracle
2. load data to schema
3. test loader-role => all data can be seen!
4. install dotConnect 5.35 Professional Trial
5. open vs2008 server explorer
6. create "direct" connection to oracle using credentials of "reader-role" (option "save password" on)
7. open tree in server explorer => no data can be seen!

as i mentioned before, creating the same connection using the owner-roles credentials works fine...

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Wed 17 Feb 2010 12:12

Af far as I can understand, you have created two users, say, User_Owner and User_ReadOnly within the one tablespace, and User_ReadOnly has a role granting readonly privilege for all tables in the tablespace. When connecting as User_ReadOnly, you cannot see the tables created by User_Owner in Server Explorer. Is this correct?

If yes, this is the expected behaviour, as Visual Studio Server Explorer is unable to show different schemas in a single connection.

If you have encountered the problem in some other scenario, please specify the definitions of database objects (roles, users and their privileges) and the exact connection parameters you are using.

ganders

Post by ganders » Wed 17 Feb 2010 12:16

tx for your help!

so, there is now way of creating an oracle-connection not using the schema-owners credentials?

best regards

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Thu 18 Feb 2010 10:25

As I can understand, the connection was created and opened, the problem is that not all the objects are displayed in Server Explorer. There is a number of other ways to use these objects. For example, you may get them using Devart DataSet Wizard, just be sure to check the "Show all databases" check box. For more information on DataSet Wizard please refer to our documentation. Also, the objects that belong to the schema owner are accessible in run-time, but you need to mention the schema explicitly, like "select * from User_Owner.Table".