DBMonitor 3.0 produces a lot of handled Exceptions

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
HCRoman

Post by HCRoman » Wed 06 Jan 2010 15:24

Hi devart team,

i am using the new dbMonitor for tracing.

The Monitor produces a lot of catched exceptions.

Is this possible to avoid??

(It can only be first chance catched, if Debugging with not only my code switch on)

A lot of first chance exceptions running to the output window

Eine Ausnahme (erste Chance) des Typs "System.Net.Sockets.SocketException" ist in System.dll aufgetreten.
Eine Ausnahme (erste Chance) des Typs "System.Net.Sockets.SocketException" ist in System.dll aufgetreten.
Eine Ausnahme (erste Chance) des Typs "System.InvalidOperationException" ist in Devart.Data.dll aufgetreten.
Eine Ausnahme (erste Chance) des Typs "System.InvalidOperationException" ist in Devart.Data.dll aufgetreten.

Exception:

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
Es konnte keine Verbindung hergestellt werden, da der Zielcomputer die Verbindung verweigerte 127.0.0.1:1000
System.Net.Sockets.SocketError.ConnectionRefused

Stack:

> System.dll!System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient.Connect(string hostname, int port) + 0x2de Bytes
Devart.Data.dll!Devart.DbMonitor.o.h() + 0x185 Bytes
Devart.Data.dll!Devart.DbMonitor.l.f() + 0x102 Bytes
Devart.Data.dll!Devart.DbMonitor.l.e() + 0x2c Bytes
Devart.Data.dll!Devart.Common.y.a() + 0x151 Bytes
mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(object state) + 0x66 Bytes
mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state) + 0x6f Bytes
mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart() + 0x44 Bytes

Tnx

Roman

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Mon 11 Jan 2010 14:16

It seems that the Oracle Server doesn't listen to requests on the port specified. Please try to connect to the server with some standard tool like SQL Plus and notify us about the results.

Also, you can send us a small test project so that we are able to investigate the issue in details.

HCRoman

Post by HCRoman » Tue 12 Jan 2010 12:18

Hi Stanislav,

I can not say, why the DB-Monitor try a socket connection to the local loopback adapter? 127.0.0.0:1000 on Port 1000??
On my machine is also a local oracle installed, but the current traced session does not connect local, only to a remote oracle.

Is it so difficult to look to the not dotfuscated code documented in the previous stack??

I think, this error comes with the new 3.0 Version, so there must be some change in that dll?

The exception is catched by devart code, but if you can, you should avoid exceptions!

So your team should investigate some time to find a solution or an explanation.

Tnx,

Roman

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Wed 13 Jan 2010 11:22

It seems that you are using an active OracleMonitor object in your application while dbMonitor.exe is not started. In this case, your application tries to connect dbMonitor.exe and throws exceptions.

If you are encountering the problem in some other scenario, please specify the steps needed to reproduce the issue.

HCRoman

Post by HCRoman » Wed 13 Jan 2010 14:38

Hi Stanislav,

yes, I have not started the DBMonitor and this is ok for my tests!.

I am only using the event OracleMonitor.TraceEvent for my own tracing.
(Writing my own logfile and measure performances etc.)

I do not need and do not active try to connect to DBMonitor, this is tryed internal by devart as you can see on the stack.

Is this avoidable? (Can I set any Flag in the monitor???)
(Or should you spent the monitor one?)

Tnx,

Roman

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Thu 14 Jan 2010 10:28

There is no functionality to stop OracleMonitor from trying to connect dbMonitor.exe at the moment. We will implement it in one of the nearest builds and notify you about the results.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Thu 11 Feb 2010 17:20

We have added the UseApp property to the DbMonitor class, and thus to the OracleMonitor class as well. It specifies whether the DbMonitor instance in the application will try to connect dbMonitor.exe. This property will be available in the nearest build.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Thu 18 Feb 2010 13:43

The new 5.55.97 Beta build of dotConnect for Oracle is available now. It can be downloaded from
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/download.html
(trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with active subscription only). For more information, please refer to
http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17143