Stored packages and query timeout

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
Petr

Stored packages and query timeout

Post by Petr » Mon 02 Nov 2009 10:27

Hi, I have problem with long time running queries (more than 30 sec). I use C# form application, connection to Oracle DB via dotConnect, no pooling, connection in Direct mode. For security reasons I only use server-side procedures and functions stored in packages. There is no client-side command merging (and no OracleCommand using).
The problem is the impossibility to change query timeout. I do not use OracleCommand class (there it is possible to change the timeout - I know). I only use OracleConnection, OraclePackage classes and generated packages via Oracle Package Wizard. Is there a way to change global query timeout for method called from generated packages?

Code example:
MyPckg my = new MyPckg(); // MyPckg is generated via Oracle Package Wizard
my.Connection = oraConn; // earlier established and opened, Pooling = false; Direct = true
OracleCursor oc = my.SelPersonList(deptId);
/*when the query SelPersonList is running for a long time (e.g. with fulltext condition), than after 30 sec is exception thrown*/

Can you help me, please?
THX!
Petr

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 02 Nov 2009 11:54

We plan to implement the DefaultCommandTimeout parameter of the connection string, and the default value for the CommandTimeout property of the OracleCommand class will be rather set to 0 (unlimited). I will notify you about the results.

Petr

Post by Petr » Mon 02 Nov 2009 13:33

OK Shalex, thank you for answer. I am looking forward your notification. Solution is important for me and our development team :-).

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 04 Nov 2009 08:22

The mentioned behaviour is implemented. Look forward to the next build of dotConnect for Oracle. I will post here when it is available.

Petr

Post by Petr » Wed 04 Nov 2009 11:29

Great! Thanks for fast and good work :-)

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 20 Nov 2009 16:33

dotConnect for Oracle v 5.35 is released.
It can be downloaded from http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/download.html (trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with valid subscription only).
For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16436.

Petr

Post by Petr » Thu 26 Nov 2009 11:29

Hi Shalex, I am glad to see new version - it came soon. I have installed it and made some changes in our project and ... IT WORKS!!! No more troubles with 30 sec. limit.
Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!
:D :D :D