Moving license between machines?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
dbelanger

Moving license between machines?

Post by dbelanger » Wed 23 Sep 2009 17:31

Hello,

I'm wondering if a license could be moved from one developer's machine to another developer's machine in the event that a developer takes over on a project. This would mean only one machine is licensed at a time.

Thanks.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 24 Sep 2009 10:01

dotConnect for Oracle is licensed for developers (not for a workstation or a server). Every licensed developer can install and use the product on one or more computers, provided it is used by 1 (one) developer for the sole purposes of developing, testing, and deploying applications in accordance Devart License Agreement (you can find it in the folder of our provider installation). So if our product is used only by the licensed users in your case, this doesn't violate our license.

dbelanger

Post by dbelanger » Thu 24 Sep 2009 17:37

Thanks for your response.

If I understand you and the license agreement correctly then each developer that uses the software would need to be licensed. So in my scenario where one developer works on a project and then assigns the project to a different developer later on we would need 2 licenses as the license is developer tied and not transferable. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks again.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 28 Sep 2009 06:17

Yes, our license is not transferable: if your second developer compiles the asssemblies (EXE or DLL) with the direct references to the Devart assemblies, he also needs the license. Please refer to this thread where the license issue is discussed.