Licensing issue when deploying Entity Framework project

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
PerryD

Licensing issue when deploying Entity Framework project

Post by PerryD » Wed 19 Aug 2009 22:23

Here is my application configuration from top to bottom: webapp -> business logic -> data access -> entity framework data model -> oracle.

Like everyone else, this runs fine locally. Then when i go to deploy i get the following stack trace:

Code: Select all

2009-08-19 03:46:21 [Service.Global] DEBUG (null) - Stack trace follows
System.Data.EntityException: The underlying provider failed on Open. ---> Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleException: License not valid due to the problems with dotConnect for Oracle installation.
   at Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleConnection.Open()
   at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityConnection.OpenStoreConnectionIf(Boolean openCondition, DbConnection storeConnectionToOpen, DbConnection originalConnection, String exceptionCode, String attemptedOperation, Boolean& closeStoreConnectionOnFailure)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityConnection.OpenStoreConnectionIf(Boolean openCondition, DbConnection storeConnectionToOpen, DbConnection originalConnection, String exceptionCode, String attemptedOperation, Boolean& closeStoreConnectionOnFailure)
   at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityConnection.Open()
   at System.Data.Objects.ObjectContext.EnsureConnection()
   at System.Data.Objects.ObjectQuery`1.GetResults(Nullable`1 forMergeOption)
   at System.Data.Objects.ObjectQuery`1.System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
   at WaterRights.DataAccessObjects.SummaryDao.GetSummaryByWRNumber(String wrNumber) in d:\source\WaterRights\DataAccessObjects\SummaryDao.cs:line 47
   at WaterRights.BusinessLogic.SummaryActions.GetWaterRightSummaryByWrNumber(String wrNumber) in d:\source\WaterRights\BusinessLogic\SummaryActions.cs:line 39
   at Service.Controllers.SummaryController.DoProcessRequest(IExecutionContext context) in d:\source\WaterRights\Service\Controllers\SummaryController.cs:line 51
   at Bistro.Controllers.AbstractController.ProcessRequest(HttpContextBase context, IContext requestContext)
   at Bistro.Http.Module.ProcessRequestRecursive(HttpContextBase context, String requestPoint, IContext requestContext)
   at Bistro.Http.Module.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
2009-08-19 03:46:21 [Service.Global] ERROR (null) - The underlying provider failed on Open.
I have done the following:
1. Since I am using dotConnect in a class library with the entity framework i created a licenses.licx and licenses.config and embeded the licx file as a resource in the library.
2. I put Devart.Data.dll, Devart.Data.Oracle.dll, and Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.dll in the GAC on my two load balanced test servers.
3. I have run Tools/Oracle/License Information. There was one Fix button which i clicked which didn't seem to do anything.
4. Read every dotConnect for Oracle licensing issue post and tried everything that seemed relevant.
5. Ran out of time.

What else do I need to do? Thanks.
Perry

PerryD

Post by PerryD » Wed 19 Aug 2009 22:56

i am using version 5.25.39.0 and i also added Devart.Data.Oracle.Web.dll to the GAC on my target servers and that didn't help either.

PerryD

Post by PerryD » Wed 19 Aug 2009 23:10

i also tried moving the devart dll's to the bin folder of my app but that did not help either.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 20 Aug 2009 07:10

Please register our provider in your *.config file. For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... Using.html , the Entity Framework Support part, the Deploying an Entity Framework Project section. Please notify us about the results.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 20 Aug 2009 11:53

It is also important whether the application is compiled on the developer machine or on the deployment server. If you compile your application on the deployment server which doesn't have dotConnect for Oracle installed, it is necessary to compile App_Licenses.dll separately on your developer server, and then to place it in the Bin folder of your application.

PerryD

Post by PerryD » Thu 20 Aug 2009 14:21

so i figured this out last night when i deployed my project directly from my development machine to the test servers rather than using ccnet and msbuild which builds the project from our repository server and then deploys.

following the directions to create the app_licenses.dll, so i can use our build server, i don't get the build runtime licenses menu item for the licenses.licx file. i put the licx file in the root of my asp.net project which is where i thought it needed to be. now what am i doing wrong?

thanks,
perry

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 20 Aug 2009 15:08

App_Licenses.licx is necessary for Web Site projects. If your project type is ASP.NET Web Application, having only licenses.licx is enough. Is the licensing problem resolved?

PerryD

Post by PerryD » Thu 20 Aug 2009 15:18

Not yet. I embedded the licx file in my asp.net web app as a resource, added a reference to Devart.Data.Oracle.dll, and checked in my code (subversion). When msbuild builds the solution and deploys the project I still get the same "license not valid" error. The build is successful so I know that is not the issue.

Obviously, the devart dll's are not on the build server. But I would have thought putting the licx file in the asp.net project and having a reference to the Devart.Data.Oracle.dll (copy local) would have been enough.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Perry

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 21 Aug 2009 08:24

1. Have you added the following entry either to web.config or to machine.config of your deployment server?

Code: Select all

Replace 5.25.39.0 here with your actual version.

2. Please specify the full text of the error you are getting now.

PerryD

Post by PerryD » Mon 24 Aug 2009 13:48

Shalex, yes, that config entry is present in the web.config of my asp.net project. The error remains the same. I have sent the compiled binary to the support email.

Thanks for your help.

Perry

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 26 Aug 2009 06:59

We have answered you by e-mail.