Error while installing dot connector for oracle

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
Max

Error while installing dot connector for oracle

Post by Max » Wed 27 May 2009 19:04

HI, i have some problems with dot connector for oracle:
at the end of the installation when the install process try to edit this key(s)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\Projects\{E24C65DC-7377-472b-9ABA-BC803B73C61A}\Filters
it give me an error because i can't edit that key(s) (i'm the admin of the computer)

this is one of the errors:

Error creating registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\Projects\{E24C65DC-7377-472b-9ABA-BC803B73C61A}\FileExtensions\.lqml

RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5.

Access denied.

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to proceed anyway, or Abort to cancel installation.

i skipped the errors by pushing the ignore button, but after the installation when i try the examples Visual Studio give me this error:

Errore 2 errore imprevisto dell'attività "ResolveAssemblyReference".
System.Security.SecurityException: Accesso al Registro di sistema non consentito.
in System.ThrowHelper.ThrowSecurityException(ExceptionResource resource)
in Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)
in Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name)
in Microsoft.Build.Tasks.RegistryHelper.GetSubKeyNames(RegistryKey baseKey, String subkey)
in Microsoft.Build.Tasks.AssemblyFoldersEx.FindDirectories(RegistryKey baseKey, String registryKeyRoot, String targetRuntimeVersion, String registryKeySuffix, String osVersion, String platform, GetRegistrySubKeyNames getRegistrySubKeyNames, GetRegistrySubKeyDefaultValue getRegistrySubKeyDefaultValue)
in Microsoft.Build.Tasks.AssemblyFoldersEx..ctor(String registryKeyRoot, String targetRuntimeVersion, String registryKeySuffix, String osVersion, String platform, GetRegistrySubKeyNames getRegistrySubKeyNames, GetRegistrySubKeyDefaultValue getRegistrySubKeyDefaultValue)
in Microsoft.Build.Tasks.AssemblyFoldersExResolver.Resolve(AssemblyNameExtension assemblyName, String rawFileNameCandidate, Boolean isPrimaryProjectReference, Boolean wantSpecificVersion, String[] executableExtensions, String hintPath, String assemblyFolderKey, ArrayList assembliesConsideredAndRejected, String& foundPath, Boolean& userRequestedSpecificFile)
in Microsoft.Build.Tasks.AssemblyResolution.ResolveReference(IEnumerable`1 jaggedResolvers, AssemblyNameExtension assemblyName, String rawFileNameCandidate, Boolean isPrimaryProjectReference, Boolean wantSpecificVersion, String[] executableExtensions, String hintPath, String assemblyFolderKey, ArrayList assembliesConsideredAndRejected, String& resolvedSearchPath, Boolean& userRequestedSpecificFile)
in Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ReferenceTable.ResolveReference(AssemblyNameExtension assemblyName, String rawFileNameCandidate, Reference reference)
in Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ReferenceTable.ResolveAssemblyFilenames()
in Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ReferenceTable.ComputeClosure()
in Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ResolveAssemblyReference.Execute(FileExists fileExists, DirectoryExists directoryExists, GetDirectories getDirectories, GetAssemblyName getAssemblyName, GetAssemblyMetadata getAssemblyMetadata, GetRegistrySubKeyNames getRegistrySubKeyNames, GetRegistrySubKeyDefaultValue getRegistrySubKeyDefaultValue, GetLastWriteTime getLastWriteTime)
in Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ResolveAssemblyReference.Execute()
in Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteInstantiatedTask(EngineProxy engineProxy, ItemBucket bucket, TaskExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, ITask task, Boolean& taskResult)
Area dell'assembly con errori:
MyComputer LinqDemo

Can somebody help me please??
thanks in advice

Max

Post by Max » Thu 28 May 2009 11:09

the exception that i post was throw when i add the reference Devart.Data.Oracle.Linq

Nobody can help me???

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 28 May 2009 13:17

This problem occurs because you don't have enough permissions to access the registry.
1. If you have OS Vista, have you tried to run the installation package of dotConnect for Oracle with the "As Administrator" option?
2. Please try to disable your antivirus software during installation. Maybe it doesn't allow to access the registry.
3. Try to edit the permissions to the registry branches that are not accessible manually (right click on a particular key node in Registry Editor | Permissions).

If the above recommendations don't help, please specify your OS and dotConnect for Oracle versions. We will try to reproduce the problem.

Max

Post by Max » Thu 28 May 2009 21:01

Thanks for the reply!!
My operating system is Vista, and i run the installation as administrator, i'm the only user of this pc, i try to grant to anyone the registry node, but an error occured....
my version of the oracle dotconnector is the last trial version.
And i don't use anti virus...

Maybe i have to re-install VS???

Thanks Max

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 02 Jun 2009 09:47

We can reproduce the problem in one case only - limited or denied permissions for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\Projects\ node of the registry.

So please try setting the full access for this node to Everyone. When adding this access rule via Advanced Security Settings for Projects, please clear the "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent" option and check the "Replace all existing inheritable permissions on all descendants with inheritable permissions from this object" option.

Please notify us if it helps.

Max

Post by Max » Fri 05 Jun 2009 11:28

Ok, there was a problem on my system registry, i was unable to grant on registry keys because an error happends, after the resolution of the registry error all goes well.

Thanks for the support!!