Entity Data Model Wizard: reuse a data connection to Oracle

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
mpovidlov

Entity Data Model Wizard: reuse a data connection to Oracle

Post by mpovidlov » Thu 21 May 2009 17:27

I am adding a new ADO.NET Entity Data Model. I am getting to a screen "Choose Your Data Connection". In the list of available connections that I created before I see an entry that, when I was creating it, does not store password neither in the connection string nor in App.Config. I was able to use this connection before, right after I had created it and had been shown a dialog with "Test connection" button. I had set the password in my code. Now, when attemtping to reuse this connection in another project and providing the password in the dialog box (this dialog box disappears in the following attempts, btw), I get an error "Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleException, error message ORA-01005: null passord given; logon denied". I cannot do anything about it, I have to create a new (duplicate) connection that will allow me to get through. Is this a Devart's problem?
Thanks

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Fri 22 May 2009 13:52

This is a feature of the Entity Data Model Wizard implementation.
The first connection string check succeeds, but then the initial connection string
(not containing password value) is passed to the ADO.NET provider.
We are working on improving this functionality in Entity Developer, but no exact timeframe can be provided.