What do I need to distribute ADO.NET Entity applications?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
msX

What do I need to distribute ADO.NET Entity applications?

Post by msX » Wed 25 Mar 2009 10:59

I want to distribute an application that uses ADO.NET Enity technology together with dotConnect for Oracle (5.0.22). I put all necessary files (Devart.Data, .Oracle, .Oracle.Entity, .Oracle.Linq) to the bin directory. On the developer machine, everything works fine. On another machine, where dotConnect for Oracle is not installed, I'll get the following error message:

System.ArgumentException: Der angegebene Speicheranbieter kann nicht in der Konfiguration gefunden werden oder ist ungültig. ---> System.ArgumentException: Der angeforderte .Net Framework-Datenprovider kann nicht gefunden werden. Er ist ggf. nicht installiert.
bei System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactories.GetFactory(String providerInvariantName)
bei System.Data.EntityClient.EntityConnection.GetFactory(String providerString)

(It says that the .NET Framework Dataprovider could not be found)

(Connection string uses provider=Devart.Data.Oracle )

How can I register other dataproviders for DBProviderFactories? (I do not want to use machine.conf - I want to register DataProviders that are in the bin directory of the application)

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 25 Mar 2009 11:16

In this case you need to register dotConnect for Oracle in the *.config file of your application.
This question was discussed here: http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=41785 .
For more information, please refer to our online documentation:
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... using.html , the Entity Framework Support part, the Deploying an Entity Framework Project section.

msX

Post by msX » Thu 26 Mar 2009 15:18

I added

Code: Select all

and it works perfectly. Thank you! :)