EMD Wizard not showing my tables (newbie question)

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
smct

EMD Wizard not showing my tables (newbie question)

Post by smct » Tue 18 Nov 2008 15:39

Using Oracle 10g Express and dotConnect 5.00, I am unable to create an Entity Data Model for the Northwind database. Using the VS EDM Wizard, a "Test Connection" on the following connection string is successful:
"user id=northwindef;password=**********;server=XE", but when I get to the "Choose Your Database Objects" dialog, the listing of tables is very long and not at all familiar to me (DR$CLASS (CTXSYS), etc.). There are no tables from Northwind, but I can see the Northwind database and tables in Toad and even in the Visual Studio Server Explorer.

(I am very new to Oracle, but I have some expereince using EF with SQL Server.)

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

smct

Solution

Post by smct » Wed 19 Nov 2008 00:25

The problem went away when I removed dba privileges from the northwind user. Not sure why this should matter. I had wrongly assumed that granting privileges liberally -- though not necessary or even advisable in the 'real' world -- would remove any potential security issues while I played around. Not.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Thu 20 Nov 2008 08:38

EDM Wizard now supports system privileges, and also grants and privileges of the user's role. That's why you got so many tables - Wizard simply selected all objects from your database your Northwind user had rights to see (DBA can see all objects).

smct

EDM Wizard

Post by smct » Thu 20 Nov 2008 12:05

Thank you for the clarification. Since the user had ALL permissions, why didn't I see any of the Northwind tables?

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Thu 20 Nov 2008 12:23

Maybe you haven't noticed it among others?
Take into account that the sorting is made first by schema name, and only after that by object names.