What is the Right Edition of OraDirect .NET for Smart Devices Having Windows CE 5.0?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
salanalani

What is the Right Edition of OraDirect .NET for Smart Devices Having Windows CE 5.0?

Post by salanalani » Tue 29 Jan 2008 11:03

Hi,

I am having a project for creating an application using Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0 on a smart device (Metrologiv SP5700 OptimusPDA) having Microsoft Windows CE 5.0 operating system. This application should connect from the mentioned device to an Oracle database (the Oracle database is somewhere in the network which the device can reach using its WiFi) and perform some SQL operations (mostly is the SQL INSERT Command).

So what is the right edition (Standard/Professional or Mobile edition) of OraDirect .NET I should try/buy for implementing this project?

I am developing the application using Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 targetting Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0, and the Oracle database version is 9i R2 installed on Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition

Alexey.mdr

Post by Alexey.mdr » Tue 29 Jan 2008 11:30

You need OraDirect .NET Mobile version 4.35 for .NET CF 2.0
You can download a trial version here:
http://crlab.com/oranet/download.html

salanalani

Post by salanalani » Tue 29 Jan 2008 11:41

I tested "OraDirect .NET Mobile v4.35 for .NET CF 2.0" on my "i-mate K-JAM" device which having "Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 (not Windows CE 5.0)" operating system and the test application is working fine. So as a confirmation, the OraDirect .NET Mobile Edition will work with Windows Mobile and/or Windows CE operating system. Am I Right?

One more thing, I will create only one application and I will install it in multiple devices. So, do I need to buy one license or I have to buy licenses as many as devices I will install the application in?

Alexey.mdr

Post by Alexey.mdr » Tue 29 Jan 2008 14:19

OraDirect .NET is compatible with these OS, though you need CF 2.0 being installed on the developer machine as well as on the end-user machines.

You need to buy only one license. End-users of your application do not require any license. OraDirect .NET uses royalty free license type.

salanalani

Post by salanalani » Tue 29 Jan 2008 21:25

Ok, last thing, I noticed that there is an annual subscription for OraDirect .NET. So my question, do the application which will be installed in the devices will not work after one year because the OraDirect .NET subscription has been expired? Or it will only expire in the PC where I developed the application (the PC which I installed the OraDirect .NET in)?

Alexey.mdr

Post by Alexey.mdr » Wed 30 Jan 2008 14:16

From FAQ:

Users with a valid OraDirect .NET Subscription get the following benefits:
- Access to new versions of OraDirect .NET when they are released
- Access to all OraDirect .NET updates and bug fixes
- Product support through the OraDirect .NET Priority Support program
- Notification of new product versions
The OraDirect .NET Subscription Program is available for registered users of OraDirect .NET 4.00 and higher.
Can I use my version of OraDirect .NET after my Subscription expires?
Yes, you can. OraDirect .NET version licenses are perpetual.

salanalani

Post by salanalani » Wed 30 Jan 2008 16:24

Thanks for your support

Alexey.mdr

Post by Alexey.mdr » Wed 30 Jan 2008 17:00

You're welcome! Hope this helped you.